What’s Happening at Graphic Classics
illustrations ©2013 Robby McMurtry
• Native American Classics: Graphic Classics Volume 24 is now available from this site, from Amazon, or through your local bookstore or comics shop. The book will presents adaptations of early stories and poems by Native American writers including Charles Eastman, Zitkala-Sa, Alex Posey, E. Pauline Johnson and George Copway. Artists include Timothy Truman, Robby McMurtry, Jay Odjick, Daryl Talbot, Toby Cypress, Weshoyot Alvitre, Roy Boney Jr., Tara Audibert, Marty Two Bulls, Terry LaBan, Afua Richardson and John Findley. The volume is co-edited with noted Native authors John E. Smelcer and Joseph Bruchac, who each contribute a piece to the collection.
illustrations ©2013 Afua Richardson
illustrations ©2013 Pat N. Lewis
illustrations ©2013 Jay Odjick
• Please visit the Native American Classics Facebook page for news, reviews, comments and sample pages.
• Editors Joseph Bruchac and John Smelcer have written an article entitled The Boarding School Experience in American Literature, which provides background information and explains themes that recur in several stories in Native American Classics
• Editors Joseph Bruchac and John Smelcer have written a second article entitled The Dawes Act and the Great American Indian Lands Grab, which provides background information and explains themes in Native American Classics stories, particularly Royal Roger Eubanks’ The Middle Man.
• Work is underway on a revised third edition of the long-out-of-print Graphic Classics: H.G. Wells. New to this volume will be an adaptation of The Island of Dr. Moreau by David Hontiveros and Reno Maniquis, and a new version of The Time Machine, by Antonella Caputo and Craig Wilson. Returning from the second edition will be The Invisible Man by Rod Lott and Simon Gane, The Inexperienced Ghost by Tom Pomplun and Rich Tommaso, and The Star, illustrated by Brad Teare. With a new cover by Craig Wilson. Look for it in February 2014.
• Following will be a unique entry in the GC series, Canine/Feline Classics: Graphic Classics Volume 25. This book will be half dog-themed stories, and half cat-themed stories. Included are stories by Ray Bradbury, P.G. Wodehouse, Robert J. Burdette, James Anthony Froude, O. Henry, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Franz Kafka, Saki, Joe R. Lansdale, Joseph Jacobs and Robert E. Howard. Plus a traditional Indian tale and poems by Carl Sandburg, Edward Lear, Oliver Goldsmith, H.P. Lovecraft and guest editor John Lehman. The two covers are by Toni Pawlowsky. The volume is in production, for June 2014 release.
• Please check out the many additional items on our Special Offers page, including rare out-of-print and foreign language editions of Graphic Classics.
• Our collection of e-texts of the original stories from which Graphic Classics are adapted continues to grow. New this month are all the authors in Native American Classics. The collection will eventually encompass all GC stories and poems in the public domain.
FREE PDF CATALOG: